With great joy, the Diocese announces new online course offerings from the St. Athanasius and St. Cyril Theological Seminary (ACTS). These courses are designed to enrich clergy, servants, and laity in their knowledge of the Orthodox faith.
His Grace Bishop Serapion spoke about the importance of theological education in his mission statement for the seminary:
For more than a decade, our goals have been:
(1) to establish an Orthodox Studies Program at the highest caliber, that would be fully accredited by the Academy of Theological Schools, in such a way that it would edify the clergy, servants, catechumen, and faithful of the Coptic Orthodox Church, especially within the Diocese of Los Angeles;
(2) to locate a facility that includes several classrooms, offices, and an extensive library;
(3) to establish a library to include at least 10,000 volumes of the necessary for advanced theological, scriptural, liturgical, and spiritual teaching;
(4) to appoint professors and administrative staff of the highest caliber, suitable for advanced academic learning; and
(5) to provide scholarships for deserving students who cannot afford to complete such a program.
Almost twenty years later, it is my great joy to announce the inaugural session of St. Athanasius and St. Cyril Theological Studies Program (ACTS). The courses for this inaugural session include New Testament I, Church History I, Introduction to Orthodox Spirituality, and Introduction to Christian Counseling.
The location for these courses will be temporarily held at St. Maurice Coptic Orthodox Church in Pomona, although we are aggressively securing a more permanent location for the school and library. Please consult www.actslibrary.org for more details about this process, and student fees.