On Saturday, September 19, 2009, elementary school children from around the Diocese participated in the finals of Mahragan Al Keraza Spiritual Competition.
- The finals were hosted by St. Peter & St. Paul Church in Santa Monica and headed by H.G Bishop Serapion, with the attendance of 16 churches, 9 priests, 350 children and more than 200 servants and parents.
- This is the first year for our Diocese to participate in this competition which is based in Egypt under the direct supervision of His Holiness Pope Shenouda III and His Grace Bishop Mousa targeting all Coptic dioceses and churches inside and outside Egypt.
- The diocese participated in two levels: Angels (1st & 2nd grade) and (3rd to 5th grade)
All teams competed in four categories:
- Spiritual Studies (Bible Study, Church Study, Church History)
- Coptic language and hymns
- 1st place overall: Archangel Michael Church in Santa Ana
- 2nd place overall: Holy Virgin Mary Church in Los Angeles
- 3rd place overall: St. Verena and the Three Holy Church in Orange
- 1st place in Coptic Language and Hymns: St. George the New Martyr Church in Hemet
- 1st place in Spiritual Studies: St. Maurice Church in Pomona (Team 2)
- 1st place in Memorization: Archangel Raphael and St. Mina Church in Palmdale
- Artwork: 10 medals were distributed for the top 10 pieces. St. George and St. Bishoy Church in Visalia received most of them.
- 1st place overall: St. Maurice Church in Pomona (Team1)
- 2nd place overall: St. Marina Church in Irvine
- 3rd place overall: St. Verena and the Three Holy Youth Church
- 1st place in Coptic Language and Hymns: Holy Virgin Mary Church in LosAngeles
- 1st place in Spiritual Studies: Archangel Michael Church in Santa Ana
- 1st place in Memorization: St. George Church in Bellflower
- 1st place: St. George the New Martyr Church in Hemet
- 2nd place: St. Mary Church in Victorville
- 3rd place: Holy Virgin Mary Church in Los Angeles
For any comments or feedback please contact us at: [email protected]
Note: This article was updated to correct a mistake in which Holy Virgin Mary Church in Los Angeles was presented as the first place winner overall for the Angels level while Archangel MIchael Church in Santa Ana was presented as the second place winner. This was an error, and the correct result is first place to Archangel Michael and second place to Holy Virgin Mary.