Throughout history, the Orthodox Church has been confronted with many controversial issues in society. Irrespective of when the Church dealt with a particular issue, the method of dealing with the issue has been the same: acquiring the Mind of Christ. Thus, when an issue arises for which there is no clear consensus, the Church looks to the Pillars of Her Faith: the Holy Scriptures, the Early Church Fathers, and the Holy Tradition of the Church to acquire oneness of Mind based on the time-honored Faith and teachings of the Church. It is important to note, as well, that the Church never begins this process for the sake of intellectual curiosity; the issue must be real and in need of an answer inspired by the Holy Spirit.
The following articles reflect some of the Church’s stands and opinions on modern social issues.
- AbortionHis Grace Bishop Serapion
- Amicus Curiae Brief on Behalf of the Orthodox Church Against Roe v. WadeConsortium of Orthodox Churches
- Addiction: A Spiritual PerspectiveHis Grace Bishop Serapion
- Drug AddictionHis Grace Bishop Serapion
- Understanding Addicition (Part 1)His Grace Bishop Serapion
- EuthanasiaHis Grace Bishop Serapion
- AIDSHis Grace Bishop Serapion
- Homosexuality and the ChurchHis Holiness Pope Shenouda III
- Organ TransplantHis Grace Bishop Serapion
- The Church’s Perspective on Stem Cell ResearchHis Grace Bishop Serapion