On the first day of the blessed Coptic month of Kiahk, in December 2009, reports of miraculous apparitions of the Holy Virgin Saint Mary spread throughout Egypt and around the world. The apparitions took place in El Warraq, a small island on the Nile River that is part of Greater Cairo and the Giza governate. The area is known to be very poor.
Throughout December 2009, the Holy Mother of God Saint Mary has appeared to hundreds of thousands of visitors on top of her church, St. Mary and Archangel Michael Coptic Orthodox Church. The apparitions were visible miles away from the church. In some apparitions, the silhouette of the Holy Virgin Saint Mary is clearly visible, with her blessed head glowing with a gold halo while her gown emits a heavenly blue glow. The apparitions are accompanied with supernatural bright lights emanating from the crosses on top of the church. Thus far, the apparitions have received global attention and are a source of inspiration, faith, and power to all around the world.
In this page, you will find resources documenting and discussing these miraculous apparitions.
Official Statements and Declarations
Official Statement of His Grace Bishop Theodosius, General Bishop of Giza
In the era of His Holiness Pope Shenouda III and Anba Dumadius, Archbishop of Giza
The Bishopric of Giza announces that the Holy Virgin has appeared in a transfiguration at the Church named after her in Warraq al-Hadar, Giza, in the early hours of Friday 11 December 2009 at 1:00am. The Holy Virgin appeared in her full height in luminous robes, above the middle dome of the church, in pure white dress and a royal blue belt. She had a crown on her head, above which appeared the cross on top of the dome. The crosses on top of the church’s domes and towers glowed brightly with light. The Holy Virgin moved between the domes and on to the top of the church gate between its two twin towers. The local residents all saw her. The apparition lasted from 1:00am till 4:00am on Friday, and was registered by cameras and cell phones. Some 3,000 people from the neighbourhood, surrounding areas, and passers-by gathered in the street in front of the church to see the apparition.
Since Friday, the huge crowds gathered in the vicinity of the church have been seeing luminous white pigeons soaring above the church during various times of the night, as well as a star which emerges suddenly in the heaven, travels some 200 metres across, then disappears. The huge crowds gathered around the church do not cease singing hymns and praises for the Holy Virgin.
This is a great blessing for the Church and for all the people of Egypt. May her blessing and intercession benefit us all.
Signed Anba Theodosius Bishop-General of Giza
Videos and Multimedia
Arabic News Coverage
- شهادة نيافة الحَبر الجليل الأنبا ثيئودسيوس – بالصوت والصورة Testimony of Bishop Theodosius, General Bishop of Giza (Arabic)
- Algomhuria – 20 December 2009: الجمهوریة تنفرد برصد أدق تفاصیل الحدث الذي شاهده المسلمون والمسیحیون
- مساعد مطران الجيزة الأنبا ثيئودوسيوس فى حوار لـ«المصرى اليوم»: ليس هناك ما يمنع ظهور العذراء حتى لو كان الحاكم أشد من السادات 20/12/2009
- Watani newspaper: بيان صادر من مطرانية الأقباط الأرثوذوكس بالجيزة 15 ديسمبر 2009
English News Coverage
- Watani – 20 December 2009: Holy Virgin appears at Warraq, Giza
- Thousands gather in frenzied crowds as Mary said to appear again in Cairo, Egypt (SPIRITDAILY – 17 December 2009)
- Egypt: exorcism and Virgin Mary apparitions, mystery in Cairo (ANSAmed – 16 December 2009)